AB Crepes

The Place: AB Crepes
Check them out on facebook

Where: Downtown Bellingham

1311 Railroad Ave.
Bellingham, WA. 98225

When:

Tue: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm

Wed - Thu: 9:00 am - 2:00 am
Fri - Sat: 9:00 am - 2:30 am
Sun: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm

AB Crepes on Urbanspoon
AB Crepes has been open for a little more than a year and has been flourishing during that time by all observable counts. I've passed by it several times due to it being centrally located in the heart of downtown Bellingham but I never even knew there was an inside part of it until I decided to try it one day since that day I've gone there several times now both by myself and with friends. I've tried both their sweet crepes and their savory crepes. I think one of the things that makes this place so successful besides its location (well there are several others too but just this reason for now) is that it is run and owned by college students and those are the people who most tend to eat there and their are open late for the going out crowd. I have seen a few families there but most they have a strong college age customer base.

Upon first look there is a walk up window overlooking the crepe cooking area where you can order crepes and there is a menu posted there as well as a small seating area for a few eater who want to enjoy nice weather. There is a door on the left side of the window where they now have a highly visible sign welcoming you in. The first thing you see when you walk in are the bright yellow walls painted with chefs and trees. This place is small on the inside but they make the most of the space with a bar in the middle of the room that offers seating on both sides as well as quite a few four seat tables and a few two seaters. They can definitely pack quite a crowd when full but you will probably be brushing elbows with the person at the table next to you if that ever happens but I've never been there when it has been that full.

To the right as you enter is a wall with a bigger menu posted and a little further down is where you can order your food. They have an ipad system for you to pay with and you can opt to have your receipt emailed to you or upon request they can provide you with a hand written version. There is also the option to leave a tip and you can choose the amount (anything over a penny) or press one of the amounts offer if you don't select  an amount it will skip that part or you can skip it yourself. (I'm writing this because there was a review I've seen on Tripadvisor where some one claims that with this system you HAVE to give a tip but it is totally optional just like at any other place, just a little different and of course cash tips are always excepted)

Their menu is divided into Sweet Crepes, Savory Crepes, Breatfast Crepes (which they serve all day) and Simple  Pleasures Crepes which are just that simple sweet fillings. The simple crepes are the least expensive at around $4 a crepe with the savory crepes being the most expensive at $7-$8 per crepe. There is also a build your own crepe starting at $3.50 with a certain number of fixings and then you pay for each extra filling but I think a pre-made crepe is the cheapest way to go. When you order a dessert crepe you will also be offered their house ABC'auce which has cream cheese and cinnamon and is amazing. Also while they have mostly a set menu it appears that they often have a special crepe or two that is not on the menu and will normally announce it on their facebook page if you follow them. Their most recent one was The Ruben featuring pastrami, sauerkraut, Monterrey jack cheese, Dijon mustard and thousand island dressing.

First I want to talk about the crepes themselves because they are after all the most important part. These crepes were definitely different than Magdalena's crepes, first of all she tends to use buckwheat crepes a lot but also they were just different from what I expected from a crepe which are usually described as very thin and crisp. In fact they were more like a very thin almost stretchy homemade tortilla. (I've had some freshly made homemade torillas in Mexico and let me tell you they are 100% better than what you buy in the store) I think it was actually that tender slightly stretchy texture that really made the crepe though, it wasn't super thin but neither was it heavy.

Now as far as the rest of the crepe these are very good sized crepes and nice and full but not as heavy I think as Magdalena's savory crepes. Of course it seems like a lot of Magdalena's savory crepes would be best for dinner since that is usually the heaviest meal of the day but the crepes at AB Crepes seem good for anytime of the day or night and would probably be especially delicious after a long night out dancing. The desert crepes in particular are monsters.

My favorite savory crepe is the GPC Crepe, that is Garlic, Chicken, Pesto which comes with onions, tomatoes and cheese as well. Ummm, ummm, ummm is this yummy. My favorite sweet crepe is the Strawbana which I almost always slaughter the name of in some way. Fresh strawberries and bananas cooked with nutella heated up till the nutella becomes warm and gooey and the strawberries just start releasing their juice, I'm drooling just thinking about it. I've also tried their ABCT Avocado, Bacon, Cheddar Cheese and Tomato, Bacon, Egg and Cheese, and the Apple Pie which is also awesome.

Garlic Chicken Pesto
Bacon Egg and Cheese with Avocado

Apple Pie

Strawbana

I felt like all of their crepes were well balanced with the ingredients in them and I could tell that the fruits and veggies they used were freshly chopped and prepared and the chicken is always moist the bacon crisp and the cheese nice and gooey. The help there is friendly and there are always a few people working from what I have seen. If you want a drink to go with your meal they have a drink fridge off to the side where you can pick one up. I think it would be cool if they made some drinks for summer like strawberry lemonade with real strawberries, I love it on a hot summer day!

Now for the drawbacks there is only one drawback that I can see and that is it often takes at least 20-25 minutes to get a crepe which is fine if you're eating it there with friends but not so great if you're in a bit of a rush and want some fresh hot crepes. Other than that I have only one complaint about this place, the first time I ordered the GPC without onions and the other two times I've been there I've ordered it the same way but only the first time did they actually leave them out and luckily enough the onion was actually cooked just enough for me to be able to eat them which is why I ordered them without it.

All in all I really enjoy this place and will probably be back several more times throughout the year. Don't forget to get their punch card since you'll probably be back as many times as I have.

Recap:

Pros: Large portions at a great price and always delicious and open late for your convenience.
Cons: Can take a while for multiple crepes and especially savory crepes and not the most family friendly.


Leave a Reply